Miles Pedaled

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Set . . .

Our drive from Utah to Colorado. We took the slower scenic route. I kept wondering why.

After being nearly blown away on the way here, it was a relief to arrive. I was feeling lousy about this time with a fever, aches and chilling.
This is why. What you can't see is the swelling and redness down into my neck and aching down to my shoulder. We went to two urgent care centers and both were closed. So we did what we always do when we don't know what else to do.

Got a phone diagnosis and Rx from our favorite doc---

*INSERT EXPLANATION OF PLAN TO ALTER PLANNED ROUTE
*With Steve still recovering from walking pneumonia (or should I say riding pneumonia) and his doctor recommending three weeks of rest and extra sleep and my ear with either a strep or staph infection, we've decided to leap frog the route so we don't get too isolated just in case one of us gets worse. The objective is to stay the route and bike the 700 miles by shuttling the car ahead by 50-100 miles and then biking back half the distance so that the round trip equals the original goal. That way both of our mothers are happy!


We weren't planning to pedal until Thursday, but couldn't stand to hang out at the Marriot for a full day so drove out of Pueblo to Ordway which was our first scheduled stop. Since the route out of Pueblo was a four lane highway with very little shoulder, we were grateful we made that decision.
This is where we turned off of the big highway and where the peaceful bike trail begins. The counties of Eastern Colorado have joined to help make this route, The Prairie Horizons Trail, a safe and pleasant route for bicycles. These signs are on all of the roads. Their goal is to make this section in Colorado the best part of the Trans America Bike Trail. From the little we've seen so far, they're succeeding!

These empty automobile carriers are sitting empty for miles and miles along this route. A sign of the times.

If we get too tired, maybe we can get a horse to ride! SL2, you'd love it here. There are horses everywhere! But lots more cows and feed lots. Wow! What an aroma!
We've arrived at Hotel Ordway and now I'm getting really nervous...this is NOT the Marriot. Ok, breathe. This is an adventure, right?
Our room. See why I'm scared? That's a coffee can on the left where people can leave their cigarette butts.

A pleasant surprise when we walked into the Hotel Ordway lobby. Very homey and quaint.

It took us a while to find someone to check us in. Reminds me of Camp Tilden.

Anyplace that greets you with fresh lilacs has to be good. They made the whole lobby smell heavenly.

Our bedroom. I was so relieved - nice, clean, and friendly.

And a bathroom a lot like my grandmother's!

Geared up and ready to go for a test ride. Only 12 miles today. The ride to Sugar City was very windy and we struggled to keep our pace over 10 m.p.h. It was level road and Steve almost had to shift into the middle chain ring. On the way back we averaged about 22 m.p.h. and barely had to pedal! I don't care what Elder Groberg says, pray for that wind at our back every day!!


As you can see, the wind is blowing a little fiercely. So tomorrow we start riding for real. Prayers appreciated! Love you all.

5 comments:

  1. Besides the sickness, you guys look awesome!! I love the blog, we will check it often. You are in our prayers, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one fat, red ear! Ouch! I like the leapfrog plan - with neither one of you at 100%, it sounds like a wise move.

    The hotel looks cute!! I love the lilacs and the Camp Tildenesque sign.

    I'm praying for a tailwind. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys look like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two have no idea how awesome I think this is, I'm going to have to try it myself someday! First I gotta get a road bike...

    ReplyDelete