Miles Pedaled

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Flint Hills Hell - Hard to Appreciate the Beauty When You're Pedaling!

We woke up to rain this morning and I moaned and groaned enough that we drove to our next stop with hopes that the rain would let up enough to ride.


It did - DANGIT!!






This was the stop! Oh my! Our reservation was in a chicken coop next to the railroad tracks. Steve could tell by the look on my face that it was time to move on.


We did.





This is what we got. Not one, but miles of them. We must be getting close to


MISSOURI!







These beauties came charging across the field toward us and made an abrupt stop at the fence.


We still have no idea what made them run. If they were bulls I'd say it was because


I had on a red jacket.





The best thing about Cottonwood Falls, Ks.






The worst thing about Cottonwood Falls. I only took the picture because it's your great great grandmother's name. Surprisingly good food along the way.


This was the big exception!





We found this as we rode around Council Grove. This guy lived in a cave for several months.






This is the cave. No thanks!







Note the poppies behind us. I thought this was a California flower, but they're


EVERYWHERE!






Maybe you can see them better without us sitting in front of them.






Our bed for the night. Built in 1870. I asked about smoke detectors before I would consent to stay.








These are for you mom. Just a few that are in the gift shop.








Luckily we have our own bathroom!






Doors and hardware that look similar to those used in mother's house.


Her floors are a lot more even than these. I feel like I'm walking up


and down hills.





Long narrow halls (about 38"). This place is just like the ones you see in the Western movies.


I guess that's because it is.








We had dinner at the Hay's House, founded by Daniel Boone's grandson in 1857 and it's said to be the oldest continuously operated restaurant west of the Mississippi.


They had good home made comfort food. Just what the doctor ordered.


I had a hard time enjoying my dinner because I wanted the chocolate cake. It was so good that I only ate half so I could save the rest for tomorrow. Steve didn't want dessert, but changed his mind and got lemon meringue pie.






He didn't save any...



and had to rest before walking up the stairs.


1 comment:

  1. Your hotel looks much better than a chicken coop - it's good you moved on even if you got Missouri-ish hills.

    ReplyDelete